5 Tips for the Ultimate Trip to Havasupai
My love for the outdoors all started with this trip. Three years ago my trip to Havasupai was incredible, making my thirst for adventure grow even larger! Through my own trial and error, I've compiled a list of five tips to help you avoid common mistakes on this hike. Even if you've planned a month ahead and are in pretty good hiking shape, these five tips could make your trip run much smoother and be more enjoyable.
Want to explore the Grand Canyon and see those famous aqua coloured waterfalls in Havasupai too? Follow these five tips to make it the journey of a lifetime!
1. Pack Correctly
If you see all falls, you'll be hiking 30-35 miles. Make sure your pack is comfortable and your weight is evenly distributed, with the heaviest part in the centre of the pack, balanced evenly on the sides. Items hanging loosely will swing on your pack and create lag. I recommend packing before hand if it's your first time. If you don't want to pack your stuff, mules are available to carry it for you.
2. Bring these 5 optional items to make it extra fun
- Hammock & string or ties for hanging
- Flotation device/Beach Ball
- GoPro or any camera
- Misty Mate neck cooler and water mister, keeping you cool in the scorching heat.
3. Don't forget these 5 essentials
- Sunscreen and bug spray - Depending on the season, it's very hot and there are plenty of bugs.
- Hiking shoes - make sure they're broken in and comfortable. Try them out on a pre-supai hike. Don't wear really low top shoes or hiking sandals - they'll be full of pebbles every 50 feet. Most of the trip is walking along a rocky river bed, so make sure your shoes aren't flimsy.
- Lightweight, dehydrated food. There are no camp fires so you'll need a boiler as well. Plastic silverware isn't a bad idea.
- Pain-killers - you will get sore. Bandages and a first aid kit are a great idea for first timers, blisters could make it a lot less fun for you.
- Baby Powder, because chafing is never fun.
Havasupai has become extremely poplular. To be safe, reservations should be made 6-8 months prior to trip. You can find more information on this website.
5. Round up a group family and friends, disconnect from everyday life and have the trip of a lifetime!
Share this post with your friends, set a date, make the reservation and a list of things to bring. If they haven't packed before, they will need some help. This is a trip that will strengthen your love for nature, adventure and the great outdoors. Havasupai will awaken anyone's soul and thirst for adventure.